The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 provides the legal framework to promote, stimulate and encourage high standards of health and safety in places of work. It applies to everyone in a work environment – employers, employees, trainees, self-employed, manufacturers, suppliers, importers of work equipment etc. Our Health and Safety consultants, available around the UK, can provide your business with a hassle-free, cost effective route to compliance.
Here is an overview of what the Health and Safety at Work Act covers, for the full version click here.
• provide and maintain safety equipment and safe systems of work
• ensure materials used are properly stored, handled and transported
• provide information, training, instruction and supervision
• secure a safe working environment
• produce a written safety policy/risk assessment
• look after the health and safety of the public
• take care of their own health and safety and that of other persons
• co-operate with their employers
• don’t interfere with anything provided in the interest of health and safety
Health and Safety Legislation Enforcement
Health and Safety inspectors have a range of powers to ensure the legislation is being complied with.
The powers of an inspector include:
• rights of entry at reasonable times
• right to investigate and examine
• right to dismantle equipment and take substances or equipment
• right to see documents and take copies
• right to assistance (from colleagues or Police)
• right to ask questions under caution
• right to seize articles or substances in cases of imminent danger
Legal Notices – Written document requires person to do/stop doing something.
• Improvement Notice: say what is wrong and how to put right within a set time.
•Prohibition Notice: prohibits use of equipment/unsafe practices immediately.
Prosecution – Both employers and employees face prosecution.
• Maximum £5000 in Magistrates’ Court
• Unlimited fine and jail in Crown Court.
CFS Health and Safety at Work Act Compliance
Our Health and Safety consultants have the expertise to ensure businesses comply with the legal standards for health and safety. We work closely with our clients to ensure appropriate training is provided, and that all the necessary health and safety documentation is developed and made readily available.
For more information on how your business can achieve Health and Safety Compliance, submit an enquiry below or talk to an expert on 08450 267 745.